Medically Trained, Naturally Focused
This week we celebrate Naturopathic Medicine week in Canada. In light of this we wanted to outline how, as naturopathic physicians, we are medically trained as well as naturally focused. Please see the points below outlining these. If you have any questions feel free to book in with one of Helix’s naturopathic physicians to discuss further.
We are recognized medical providers; trained professionals who clinically treat patients through a natural approach.
Naturopathic Doctors (NDs) must earn an undergraduate degree, complete four years of post-graduate training at an approved school of Naturopathic Medicine and pass rigorous, standardized North American licensing exams.
We’re trained to reduce the risk of disease, a fundamental aim of Naturopathic Medicine.
We’re trained to diagnose. We do annual checkups. We order lab tests. We can prescribe clinically tested medicines. We can refer you to other health professionals, if required.
We work in hospitals, clinics, corporations and private practice. Some of us play an active role in federal health initiatives. We work collaboratively with oncologists, radiologists, surgeons and researchers to address the needs of those seeking complementary care for living with cancer.
You don’t have to choose! You’re not turning your back on conventional medicine. We’re a vibrant part of Canada’s healthcare system — a system that allows for the best of both worlds. Those worlds are complementary.
There’s a place for our natural focus …
- Naturopathic Medicine isn’t new and it’s not a remedy. Don’t confuse it with naturopathy, we are medical professionals with a natural approach.
- Did you know? A natural focus is actually at the core of all world medicine.
- Naturopathic Medicine dates back 2,400 years to Hippocrates who used nature to stimulate the body’s natural healing power.
- Today, Naturopathic Medicine blends scientific knowledge with traditional and natural medicine.
- We don’t just treat symptoms. Our natural focus allows us to look at your physical and emotional makeup, environment and lifestyle — all keys to unlocking the underlying cause of illness.
- Who’s a candidate for Naturopathic Medicine?
- Everyone! This includes patients looking for:
- Health promotion
- Disease prevention
- Help with symptoms that conventional medicine has been unable to
- Supportive and/or adjunctive treatments for those diagnosed with any
- Help managing a chronic condition or life-threatening illness
- Help minimizing the side effects of drugs, surgery, or other conventional treatments.
Remember, health is a life-long process and it doesn’t happen by chance – so everyone’s a candidate for Naturopathic Medicine.Book an Appointment